Global Smartphone AP-SoC Shipments & Forecast Tracker by Model - Q4 2021
Mar 2, 2022
Author : Shivani Parashar and Parv Sharma
“The global smartphone AP (Application Processor)/SoC (System on Chip) chipset shipments grew 4% YoY in Q4 2021. MediaTek leads the smartphone SoC market with a share of 39%, driven by a competitive 5G SoC and high demand for the 4G SoC. MediaTek has gained share in the mid-low 5G smartphones.”
- Apple: We forecast chipset shipment to decline in 2022 Q1 due to seasonality. Demand for iPhone will trickle from 2021Q4 to 2022Q1 due to component shortages mainly PMIC, DDIC, etc., in Q4.
- MediaTek: MTK will have flat growth in chipset shipments in 2022 Q1 due to seasonality and inventory correction from OPPO & Vivo. However, the continued demand for 5G, LTE and premium launches (Dimensity 9000) will maintain steady revenues. All major Chinese OEM brands will launch premium phones with Dimensity 9000 in China.
- Qualcomm: Qualcomm will have a slight decline in shipment in 2022Q1 due to weak Q1 demand. However, there will be an increase in the revenue as premium tier chipsets will have higher shipments. The Yield rate for 4nm Samsung is low which will affect the demand for Snapdragon 8 Gen 1.
- Samsung: There will be a flat growth in overall chipset shipments in 2022Q1. Samsung has also been affected by the low yield rate for Exynos 2200. Also, some of the volumes in countries like India, Korea, etc., for the s22 series has design wins with Qualcomm.
- UNISOC: UNISOC is gaining on the 4G chipset share which has been in high demand, and it has design wins with Honor, Realme, Motorola, recently it also entered the Samsung Galaxy low end A series. The growth is expected to trickle down into next year as well. However, the 5G shipments are still low due to less adoption by the smartphone OEMs.
- Huawei (HiSilicon): As per our check and sell-thru data Huawei is close to the end of the inventory for the Hisilcon chipsets. It is also not possible for the brand to get newer chipsets from TSMC, Samsung, etc. due to the trade ban. It can work with SMIC on the 12nm/14nm node, but the capacity is limited. It has started adopting Qualcomm in the new models, but the capability is capped at 4G only. The overall sell-thru for Huawei smartphones has come down to 2 Mn units per month out of which 40-50% is HiSilicon. We expect this to decline further in coming quarters.
This report tracks the smartphone AP/SoC Shipments by Model for all the vendors. The scope of this report is from the AP/SoC shipments from all the key vendors like Apple, Qualcomm, MediaTek, Huawei, Samsung, and UNISOC. We have covered all the main models starting from Q1 2020 to Q4 2021. We have also included a one-quarter forecast for Q1E 2022. This report will help you to understand the AP/SoC Market from the shipment perspective. Furthermore, we have also covered key specs for these AP/SoC covering market view by:
- Network (4G/5G AP/SoC)
- Foundry Details (like TSMC, Samsung. etc.)
- Process node (5nm, 6nm, 8nm, etc.)
- Manufacturing Process (FinFET, N7, N5, etc.)
- CPU Cores Architecture and CPU Cores Count
Table of Contents:
- Global Smartphone AP/SoC Shipment by model PivotTable
- Apple AP/SoC Shipments by Model Q1 2020 – Q1 2022E
- MediaTek AP/SoC Shipments by Model Q1 2020 – Q1 2022E
- Qualcomm AP/SoC Shipments by Model Q1 2020 – Q1 2022E
- Huawei AP/SoC Shipments by Model Q1 2020 – Q1 2022E
- Samsung AP/SoC Shipments by Model Q1 2020 – Q1 2022E
- UNISOC AP/SoC Shipments by Model Q1 2020 – Q1 2022E
Published Date: March 2022