Monthly Market Pulse - February 2022
Mar 28, 2022
Author : Varun Mishra
Smartphone Market sales declines further in February, Shipments also fall below sales
- Global handset market sales declined further in February due to the usual seasonal slump across regions including the US and Europe. China slowed following the Lunar new year sales in January. India grew marginally MoM, from Omicron-affected sales in January.
- Shipments also declined sharply due to the closure of manufacturing activities because of the Lunar New Year holidays. The Russia-Ukraine conflict at the end of February created further uncertainties in the market. The full effect of the conflict on shipments and supply chain in the region is expected to be seen in March, and beyond
Samsung becomes #1 Smartphone Brand in February; Apple’s China sales surpass US in Feb
- Samsung regained the top position in the Global smartphone market in February 2022. This was driven by the release of the S22 series towards the end of the month, which recorded strong pre-orders.
- Apple sales declined as demand for the iPhone 13 series slowed due to seasonality. Sales were lower YoY as well, however this is mostly a function of strong sales in Feb-21 due to the later launch of the iPhone 12 series. Some consumers may also have been waiting for the new iPhone SE device launching in March 2022.
Premium segment declines, Samsung gains.
- The share of >US$600 devices declined in-line with seasonal trends for Apple. The S22 launched only during the latter part of February, which helped Samsung gain share in the segment.
- The S22 series is expected to perform better than the S21 series.. S22 Ultra, will encourage existing Note users to replace their devices thanks to the S Pen. The active installed base of Note users is estimated to be 40 Million at end 2021.
Table of Contents:
- Global Sell-in vs Sell through
- Global Smartphone Market Analysis: Market Share by OEMs, Price band
- USA, China, India, Europe Smartphone Market Analysis and insights
- Global Hardware Feature Analysis: Key Specs – Camera, Display, RAM, NAND
- Global Hit Models
Number of Pages: 41
Published Date: March 2022